Hardwoods Barrel: Cellar Door
When it comes to keeping your home gleaming, knowing how to clean prefinished hardwood floors is essential. Unlike carpet or tile, prefinished hardwoods bring their own set of rules for cleaning that help preserve their beauty and longevity. If you’ve installed any CALI Bamboo or CALI Hardwoods collections, like Meritage or Barrel, you’re in luck because these floors are designed with easy maintenance in mind. Let’s dive into the simple steps to keep your hardwoods in tip-top shape.
Check out all CALI Care & Maintenance guides here.
First things first, regular care is key. Prefinished hardwood floors are finished with a coating that seals the wood, protecting it from stains and damage. This finish keeps the cleaning process less labor-intensive than you might expect. For daily upkeep, a soft-bristle broom or a dry dust mop is your best friend. Gently sweep away any loose dirt, dust, or debris to prevent scratching the wood’s surface. We have a great prefinished hardwood floor care kit here.
Life happens, and so do spills. With prefinished hardwoods like CALI’s Meritage and Barrel collections, you don’t have to panic. Quickly blot spills with a clean, dry cloth to prevent watermarks or damage. For scuffs and marks, a slightly damp cloth can do the trick. Remember, water is wood’s enemy, so keep the cloth just damp enough to clean without leaving excess moisture behind.
Not all floor cleaners are created equal, and when it comes to prefinished hardwood floors, the right solution matters. Avoid harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners, which can strip the finish and damage the wood. Instead, opt for a pH-neutral cleaner specifically designed for prefinished hardwood floors. We particularly recommend Bona Pro Hardwood Cleaner, but CALI floors are compatible with many gentle cleaning products that won’t harm the finish or the environment.
Here's how to clean prefinished hardwood floors effectively:
• Remove Loose Debris: Start by removing all loose dirt and dust with a broom, dust mop, or vacuum with a hardwood floor setting (no beater bar).
• Apply Cleaner: Lightly spray your chosen cleaner onto the floor or a microfiber mop. Be sure not toover-wet the floor.
• Mop in Sections: Work in small sections and mop in the direction of the wood grain. This helps to avoid streaking or clouding and ensures each area gets proper attention.
• Buff Dry: After mopping, immediately buff the area with a dry microfiber cloth. This removes any residual cleaner and restores shine.
Occasionally, you may encounter a stubborn stain that your regular cleaning routine can’t handle. For these, you can use a cleaner formulated for hardwood floor stains. Apply it to the stained area and follow the instructions carefully. Avoid scrubbing too hard or using steel wool, as these can scratch the finish.
To maintain the pristine condition of your prefinished hardwood floors, here are some additional tips:
• Use Floor Mats: Place mats at entryways to catch dirt before it reaches your floors.
• Felt Pads: Protect your floors from furniture scratches by using felt pads under legs.
• Keep It Dry: Tackle spills immediately and never let standing water sit on your floors.
• Avoid Direct Sunlight: Use curtains or blinds to protect your floors from fading due to direct sunlight.
Keeping your prefinished hardwood floors clean doesn’t have to be a chore. With the right tools, products, and methods, you can easily maintain the natural beauty of your floors. CALI’s Meritage and Barrel collections are designed not only for style and durability but also for ease of care. By following these simple tips on how to clean prefinished hardwood floors, you’ll ensure your floors continue to be a standout feature in your home for many years. Remember, the key is consistency and using the right products that complement the quality of your CALI Bamboo and CALI Hardwoods flooring.