2023-11-10, Laura Nieto
Laminate flooring is a versatile, durable, and easy-to-install flooring option for both homeowners and professionals. If you're considering laminate flooring in your space, here are some important steps to take before, during, and after installation.Be sure to check out CALI’s full laminate installation guide here for many more details and tips on how to see your project through to success.
As with any flooring project, proper preparation is key. Make sure to test and address moisture issues, acclimate the flooring, and remove existing floor coverings if needed. Use appropriate moisture barriers over concrete and ensure the subfloor is clean, dry, flat, and structurally sound. Leave proper expansion space between flooring and walls/fixed objects. See more preparation tips here.
• Start by laying planks from left to right against the wall. Maintain 1/2" expansion gaps along the perimeter.
• Connect planks by angling the tongue into the groove then pressing down until locked in place. Use a rubber mallet if needed.
• Stagger end joints by at least 1/3 of the plank length from row to row.
• For final row, cut planks to size while maintaining the expansion gap. Remove spacers once finished.
• To disassemble planks, lift delicately at a slight angle then slide apart horizontally. Don't lift more than 5 degrees.
• Remove the 1/2" spacers and install the backer rod and silicone sealant.
Laminate can be installed over radiant heat if separated by 1/2" or more. Turn the system off 24 hours before and after install. Slowly increase temperature over several days up to a max of 85°F. Be sure to follow the system’s manufacturer guidelines.
• Note that the silicone caulk does not need to be completely dry before you install your baseboards/trim. In fact, installing trim while the silicone is wet will give you a better seal.
• For regular cleaning, dry mop or damp mop with laminate floor cleaner. Avoid excessive moisture.
• Use furniture pads, rug underlay, casters, and proper dolly wheels to prevent scratches and dents.
• Limit direct sunlight with curtains. Never wax or use harsh chemicals on the floor.
With proper preparation and care, laminate flooring can provide many years of beauty and enjoyment in your home. Follow these tips to ensure a smooth installation of CALI Laminate.